The image to the left is an illustration by Leopoldo Torroba Morales based on one of my early toy designs.
I love listening to music in the background while I write and draw – my all-time favourites: Darcy Clay, Pantera, Bowie, Neil Young, Buffalo Springfield, Van Morrison, Aphex Twin, Daft Punk, B52s, Jefferson Airplane, Styx, Steely Dan, Slayer, Slipknot, Sepultura, Devildriver, Rancid and Hobo Johnson. Also a bit of: Everlast, Dire Straits, Rage Against the Machine, Efterklang, Citizen Cope, Korn, Whitesnake, Megadeth, Trinity Roots, Hollie Smith, Motley Crue and Skid Row.
I try to write every night, for 3 hour-long sessions (+ 30mins as a critic). Working creatively from 9pm for about 4.5hrs every day. Coding and also some world-building (mostly map-making) or storyboarding. I draw for 30mins every day as well. And try to fit in some video production/editing or gaming, most days. I try to write 14pgs rewrites and approx. 300-1.5k words of new pages daily, with a goal of 8 manuscripts or 550 new pages + rewrites, in a variety of mediums, yearly.
Making films can consume days and weeks. So as you can probably tell, as a freelancer, I wear many hats:
- feedback on a screenplay or other script, drawing a 3hr bespoke abstract cartoon (single character, extra for setting, includes commercial use), drawing a simple cartoon portrait based on a photo, selling my non-portrait images from my portfolio, testing software, editing video, 200 words of content or feedback on a game idea and/or design document
- designing creatures/characters
- designing t-shirts and mugs (fanart, cartoons, mecha, design as art)
- writing novels, rpgs, ecourses and screenplays – and other scripts
- writing and developing/pencilling (eventually self-publishing) comic books
- writing, producing and art direction for micro-budget movies on video (also directing traditional and tradigital animation)
- designing and producing indie video games, indie trading card games and board games, interactive animated visual novels, open-source software, simple cheap software and mechatronic games
- designing and developing toys
- mentoring in creative writing, filmmaking, design topics